“Reduced Plastic Cruising” – 48° North Magazine (August 2017 issue). After rescuing a goose on our dock whose neck was entwined with a plastic six-pack ring holder, I began to look more closely at my own plastic consumption. As a boater, I am taking seriously the challenge to protect and preserve this beautiful planet we enjoy so deeply. Individual efforts may not, on their own, have an impact, but collectively we can make a difference.
You Know More Than You Think You Do – 48º North Magazine (October 2017 issue). Certain women in the boating community tend to sell themselves short. In this article, I set out to prove them wrong!
“Home Waters” – Real Simple (April 2017 issue). First place winner of Real Simple’s Life Lesson’s essay contest, my essay illustrates the excruciating process of selling our home of twenty years and downsizing to a sailboat.
“The Life Boat” – Emergence magazine, Nonviolence in Review (Summer 2015 issue). My essay (page 34) reflects on summers spent on our sailboat, immersed in nature. Our annual respite from media and commercial culture had immediate and lasting effect on all four of us, but especially our children.
“Welcome to Paradise: No Ticket Required” – My Ticket to Paradise: Expat Snapshots of Isla Taboga (Changemaker Community, 2013). Our little book benefited the diabetics on Isla Taboga, Panama. Profits supplied essential equipment for the diabetics on the island.
“The Seven Circles of Hormone Hell” – I Wanna Be Sedated: 30 Writers on Parenting Teenagers (Seal Press, 2005). This anthology included notable writers such as Anna Quindlen, Barbara Kingsolver, Dave Barry and a humbling host of others. The book is a must-read for anyone who is raising or even in the proximity of teenage humans.
NEWSLETTER WRITING AND EDITING
- University of Washington, Department of Spanish and Portuguese Studies – For three years I wrote and edited the Department’s quarterly newsletter, interviewing alumni, faculty and staff and writing about study abroad programs and activities. To read a sample alumni spotlight article, go to: Distinguished Alumnus Receives Lifetime Achievement Award
- Balance Studio – I wrote and edited monthly newsletter content for this Seattle-based dance, yoga and capoeira studio.
- University of Washington, Medical Center Volunteer Services – As the primary writer and creative force behind the department’s six-page monthly newsletter, I developed content ideas, interviewed subjects and edited articles by other staff members.
Below are samples from my monthly column, Musings From the Laundromat for Seattle’s Queen Anne/Magnolia News.
- Smoke on the Water
- Small Town Life in the Big City
- Storm Watch 2016 – Not Just the Weather
- Practicing Kindness May be the Key
- Global Warming Imperative
MARKETING & WEB CONTENT
- University of Washington, Spanish & Portuguese Studies – When the Department was updating their website, they hired me to rewrite and add content.
- University of Washington Medical Center – I wrote brochure and marketing copy for medical center cancer support programs.
- University of Washington Medical Center, Volunteer Services – Having worked with the team that developed the department’s web site, I later continued refreshing and updating web copy.
- My Ticket to Paradise: Expat Snapshots of Isla Taboga (Changemaker Community, 2013) – I co-edited this e-book of essays by local expats whose various views of island life provide a varied look at our community. Proceeds continue to benefit diabetics on Isla Taboga, Panama, providing them with essential supplies to successfully manage their disease.
- Light Years – running a successful fundraising campaign on Kickstarter requires composing an engaging story about what you’re doing and why you need monetary support. I edited the filmmakers’ pitch story, helping them get their message across more concisely and persuasively.
BLOGS and GUEST POSTS
- Panamama – an ongoing account of my experiences in Panama and my various travels.
- Daniel Dammit Hopkins – When my husband was in a near-fatal accident in 2011, I blogged as a way of keeping friends and family updated.